Tuesday 4 November 2008

Warning to all you cider drinkers!

A man who drank so much cider that his skin turned orange has amazed his doctors by surviving the condition.

Michael Stenning, 47, who began drinking more than four litres of cider a day after losing his job as a courier, was convinced to seek medical attention by friends after his skin began to change colour. When he arrived at the hospital for a check-up, doctors told him they were "amazed you're not dead."

"It was a miracle," said Dr Sumita Verma, who researches alcoholic hepatitis. "I have never seen someone as sick as him leave the hospital alive."


Mr Stenning, a father-of-two, said: "I am a miracle case and just so happy to still be alive. I am touched by the continuous support from my family and friends especially after how I treated them at the time."

He started drinking heavily five years ago after being made redundant and only stopped when warned that he was about to die.

"I now want to make up for the years I've lost while drunk," he said, explaining that his skin has begun to return to its natural colour since stopping drinking. Staying off the booze has been easier than I thought and I'm happier drinking non-alcoholic drinks, which complement my now healthier diet. I have even started an exercise regime."
via

12 comments:

  1. Now he's drinking blueberry juice instead. He's not out of the woods yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...wearing a little white hat these days, going by the name of Papa Smurf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He just doesn't look orange to me

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Dirt, only slightly jaundiced looking - perhaps I should have photoshopped him a nice carrotty colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see a change, and getting the GREEN light from his friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Momo, now he eats Readybrek, and glows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could go for the Zombie look by drinking pea wine, although the zombie grimace and walk might be possible with pee wine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gary I suppose you could make wine out of anything, but peas? Must be a Yorkshire thing! (Pee wine - is that the same as Buckfast?)

    Tony, yes, but he must dye his hair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He shoulda stuck to White Lightning.
    If you want a nice tan, drink 4 litres of WKD (Iron bru flavour) a day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes, SSTWOTI, clear cider could make you transparent and therefore almost superhuman. And drunk.

    ReplyDelete